Here are 10 scary books for children…
1) “Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark” by Alvin Schwartz
This classic collection of folklore and ghost stories, with eerie illustrations by Stephen Gammell, has been thrilling young readers for decades.
2) “Coraline” by Neil Gaiman
Neil Gaiman’s dark fantasy novel tells the story of Coraline, a young girl who discovers a parallel world that seems perfect but hides a sinister secret.
3) “The Witches” by Roald Dahl
This Roald Dahl classic is a tale of witches who despise children and plot to turn them all into mice. It’s a spooky and whimsical adventure.
4) “The Graveyard Book” by Neil Gaiman
This novel follows Nobody “Bod” Owens, a boy raised by ghosts in a graveyard, as he navigates a world filled with supernatural beings and a mysterious assassin.
5) “The Ghost of Blackwood Hall” by Carolyn Keene
Part of the Nancy Drew Mystery Stories series, this book follows the teenage detective as she solves the mystery of a ghostly presence in an old mansion.
6) “Bunnicula” by Deborah and James Howe
This humorous series follows the adventures of the Monroe family and their pets, including a possibly vampire bunny named Bunnicula.
7) “The Wolves in the Walls” by Neil Gaiman
In this picture book, Lucy discovers that the noises she hears in the walls of her home might be something much more sinister than she initially thought.
8) “The Widow’s Broom” by Chris Van Allsburg
In this beautifully illustrated book, a widow befriends a broom that has magical powers, but the townspeople are uneasy about its presence.
9) “The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything” by Linda Williams
This fun and not-too-spooky picture book tells the story of a brave old lady who encounters some Halloween-themed clothing that seems to follow her.
10) “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” by Washington Irving (Adaptations for Kids)
Adaptations of this classic Halloween tale are available for children, offering a tamer version of Ichabod Crane’s encounter with the Headless Horseman.
These spooky children’s books provide just the right amount of eerie entertainment for young readers, making them perfect for Halloween or any time of the year when a little thrill is in order.